> On Aug 11, 2016, at 5:59 AM, Junping Du <j...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>      These comments are more like wishes but not giving more clarifications
> on the needs. I would like to hear more specific reasons to not move to 2.7.x
> releases but prefer to upgrade to 2.6.5. If the only reason is about
> expectation management, I think we should claim 2.6.5 is the last branch-2.6
> release after this release work, otherwise people would expect us to maintain
> this branch forever which is impossible and unnecessary. Thoughts?

        The bylaws[*] are such that if community members want to spend their
time working on a branch, there isn't much to prevent that other than the PMC
voting down the release of that branch or removing the committers working on
that branch.  As has been pointed out to me many times, one can't dictate where
others spend their volunteer time.  If they want to spend their efforts on
branch-2.6, they can.  If that comes at the detriment of releases around
branch-2.7 or branch-2.8 or even trunk, then so be it. Technically, someone
could still fire up a branch-1 release.  Given the numbers of committers and
PMC members as listed on the main ASF website (not the list on project one), we
should have more than enough people to do all this work anyway.

* - of course, there's a few bylaws that aren't really enforced, so maybe even
this isn't true?