Hi Tom -

As someone who's been through the wringers with OSM (as is Paul), I think
taking things with a grain of salt is good advice to follow.

I would, however, not let the hidden gatekeepers scare you off too too
much, depending on what you're interested in. The first reason is that the
"hidden" gatekeepers aren't really that hidden. After a few activities,
you'll know who they are and possibly understand where they're coming from,
even if you disagree. The second reason is that the hidden gatekeeper
dynamic applies more in some areas than others.

There are also a ton of ways to get involved with OSM that don't rely on
interactions with the OSM org at all. Mapbox and Mapzen (RIP), among others
have built on top of the OSM infrastructure and have created amazing
products and deliverables using the greater OSM infrastructure.

Who knows? Maybe there's a way to dig in and have some fun?

I think the real tie between Maps on Wikipedia and OSM is how they might be
able to draw from the same base data. There's a wealth of value in many of
Wikipedia's maps that is trapped in .svg files and no underlying GIS files.
If we can work on that angle, there's value to both communities downstream
from the source data. That's my 2 cents, anyway.

- Jeff

Jeff Meyer
206-676-2347
osm: Open Historical Map (OHM)