Additional information that may or may not be relevant:  my ISP responded as
follows

Dear Customer,
There is no server side limitation to paths.  You may specify custom paths to
any library that you have need of using.  The only limitation would be on the
library itself (whether it could be accessed from an alternate location) and
the program that needs to access the library.

So basically they are saying it must be either gdal's fault or MapServer's
fault that mapserver cannot access the gdal library from an alternate location.

Anyone care to weigh in on this?

I guess I am giving up on the installation of Mapserver on the hosted website and will have to get some help from a GIS hosting service (or set up my own web server). But it seems like this should have been doable.

Anyway, thanks for the help- I certainly learned a lot in the attempt...

Tara

Tara Athan wrote:
I tried this- no change.
I tried getting support from my ISP, but they are unwilling to help.
(mapserver?  we don't know anything about that- ask the support forum)

Has anyone else had success or problems with bringing up MapServer on a hosted website?

Tara

Gregor Mosheh wrote:
Tara Athan wrote:
I found libgdal.so.1 in /home/alttwois/local/lib
On running ./mapserver -v, I get the same error message as before

/home/alttwois/public_html/cgi-bin/mapserv.real: error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Well that's bizarre. How about this?

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/alttwois/local/lib" /home/alttwois/public_html/cgi-bin/mapserv.real -v

That's all one line. That sets the linker path on the command line, then runs the command.

--
My e-mail delivery has been unreliable lately, so I am asking for
return receipts from all my email messages.

Tara Athan
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
707-485-1198
PO Box 415
Redwood Valley, CA 95470