Hi Michael,

Le 12/11/2020 à 14:54, Michael Weghorn a écrit :
> Hi Marina, everyone,
>

> On 11/11/2020 11.09, Marina Latini wrote:> PERSONAL: always with this
> target-origin approach, I'm missing the
>> origin here. Which tag should be used for example by the Limux project
>> or by SUSE or by all the others that are investing in our project with a
>> contract with one of the ecosystem companies for fixing specific issues
>> without using their LTS branded version? Why we should ask to these
>> contributors to use a personal tag giving the wrong impression to their
>> users that the software is for "for personal use only" and they are the
>> "bad folks" not contributing to our open source project in the proper way?
>
> I completely agree with this and pretty much everything you wrote. :)
>

>> ROLLING/TUMBLEWEED: I can be biased here as openSUSE community member
>> but "rolling" is not only something unstable. ;)
>> Look for example at openSUSE Tumbleweed. The distro is a rolling one, in
>> constant evolution, it's true, you can get all the updated software
>> available from upstream projects and the distro has in any case a really
>> extensive quality work done by SUSE, its partners and by the openSUSE
>> community. At the end, this tumbleweed concept is not like using a
>> master version of LibreOffice but is closer to chose fresh instead of
>> still. ;)
>> The concept of rolling is something that I really like. it's a shared
>> effort from all the contributors (volunteers, ecosystem and investors)
>> to deliver something that works as expected without providing a long
>> term support version. With this rolling concept I can't see a negative
>> outcome also for public administrations like Munich or companies like
>> SUSE supporting our project in a different way. I like "tumbleweed" more
>> than rolling to be honest but if this concept will be selected we can
>> try to find a more effective and visual word too.
>
> A tag in that direction ("something that works as expected without
> providing a long term support version") sounds good to me.
>
> From my personal understanding, "rolling" isn't what I'd use to describe
> the LibreOffice release process (where there is a release schedule in
> advance and features/bugfixes/bugs always enter with a distinct new
> release, not "at any unknown point in time", as can happen for rolling
> releases like OpenSUSE Tumbleweed or Debian unstable where new packages
> can enter at any point in time).
>
> IMHO, "Semi-annual Edition" would match our release model more
> precisely, since we have two new major releases every year, and it would
> make clear that whoever uses these versions should be prepared to
> upgrade to the next version every 6 months (as opposed to LTS versions).
>> CREATIVE: I feel this proposal closer to what I wrote for
>> ROLLING/TUMBLEWEED and indeed, I like it. :)

I agree with you. But I find the rolling concept interesting too.

> "Creative" sounds good, but at least from my personal user perspective,
> I'd probably wonder at first whether "Creative Edition" is the right one
> for me, since I don't feel that what I'm usually doing with LibreOffice
> is particularly creative (like writing some official letters from time
> to time or do some calculations in a spreadsheet). :)

Oh, I've seen official letters made in very creative ways, like
embedding tables in tables in the header, free styles, empty paragraphs
to jump to the next page, etc. ;-)

The label aims to qualify the product more than the way the user will
use it. If you look at the rationale I gave for the word, they are
mostly talking about the project and the product. Only the last one
could be considered as directed to the user, a reference to commons
universally accessible.
Same for Spring and its different meanings: it's one of the 4 seasons
(like our cycle of releases), it's the source of the water (the origin
of all the editions) and resilience reflecting how united our community is.
Cheers
Sophie
--
Sophie Gautier so...@libreoffice.org