Harland Harrison wrote:

BH> Tony didn't mention (and probably cannot name) any general laws "against
organizing unions" in arbitrary industries, but there is a lot of state and
federal law that forces employers to recognize labor unions and bargain "in
good faith" with them. Tony very clearly implied he wanted to add to those
laws when he complained that one can be "fired for trying to organize a
union".  [...] Heh, let's ask Tony if he (like the LP Platform) wants
employers to have complete freedom of association to hire and fire as they
see fit.  If he agrees with that, I'll donate $100 to the LP in your name.
<BH

HH> The man says "I don't want more laws just [repeal] the ones against
organizing unions... Again I don't want a bunch of laws favoring either
way... just ... a level playing field."  You blatantly assert that he "very
clearly implies that he wants to add to those laws." I think he means what
he says. <HH

He went on to say "I want a level playing field meaning they can't fire you
for trying to organize [...] Nevada has a right to work law which translated
is the right to fire without reason."  I was right.  You were wrong.  The
$100 is still in my bank account.

BH> Taft-Hartley Act (never mentioned by name in any LP Platform) <BH

HH> In fact the current platform of the California LP, of which you are a
member, specifically calls for the repeal of Taft-Hartley. <HH

This discussion is taking place on the Libertarian Reform Caucus forum.
It's a group dedicated to reforming the platform of the national LP.  I
wasn't talking about state platforms.

HH> You claimed that the LP platform would alienate Tony by advocating drug
legalization etc.   Again I ask why you think so? <HH

I didn't merely say "drug legalization etc.". I said "immediate repeal of
all drug laws, without regard to kind of drug or age of user."  If you can't
figure out why such an extreme prostitution is likely to be alienating, then
I don't have time to educate you.

HH>  You can't change the subject by throwing money at it. <HH

My bet was precisely on-subject, and I turned out to be right about what
Tony advocates.

HH>  Maybe he just wants the government to leave people alone.  <HH

Turns out, not.

HH> Your analysis of labor markets is technically correct, but only if we
read carefully to the very last word. <HH

Then that is presumably why I included the very last word.

HH> The law of supply and demand absolutely applies to wages.  <HH

I never said it didn't.  I just said it's a "myth that the long-run
equilibrium wage level is determined by supply and demand" as opposed to
"the marginal productivity of labor".  Do you or do you not dispute my
assertion that "Economics textbooks tell us that the long-run equilibrium
wage level is in fact determined by the marginal productivity of labor"?  I
cited Harvard professor and leading economics textbook author Greg Mankiw to
this effect.  Do you disagree with him?

HH> In Peru I met engineers sewing clothes and driving taxis because the
country did not have the money to employ their skills. <HH

Good for you.  Does this mean you'll be submitting to Professor Mankiw some
kind of correction for his textbook?

Reply via email to