Nicely put.

Several tentative responses:
The question remains, though, even within our sphere of
> action, discovering nature's properties independent of us, is dialectics
> just a matter of cognition, or the structure of social activity more
> generally, or does it begin in the natural processes apart from
intelligent
> life activity that, after all, have ultimately generated conscious
> beings? Is there an objective dialectics in this latter sense?

Following Hegel's schema of the development of logic, I would argue that
just as there is objective logic (i.e. logical activity that can only be
"known reflectively" as an object of reflection) there is an objective
dialectic.  The basic kernel of both logic and dialectic (they are after all
the same) is purposive activity.  It matters not that the agents of
purposive activity are fully or even at all conscious of their cognitive
activity, the very prosecution of intentional activity implies
logic/dialectics.

 Note that this is not the same as saying that nature is dialectical, but
rather is an assertion that dialectics is a universal property of all life
activity no matter how primitive.

> Science, let us say, correctly characterizes the natural world
independently of us. But is dialectics pertaining to this
> independent external world the dialectics of nature itself or the
> dialectics of science?

I think I gave a partial answer to this question in my response to Steve's
last message.  The products of human activity should never be regarded as
the issue of pure logic or of the unfettered human imagination.  Even Hegel
would not accept this proposal.

Science no less then the material products of human labour represent a unity
of human activity in an independent external world that has existed prior to
man's emergence and confronts men's ambitions with conditions to which he
must accommodate his activity if they are to realize their goals.  Labour is
a cooperative activity in which men work with nature as their partner.

Oudeyis