CB: What is the evidence and argument that _society_ is going through a
profound revolution in machinery ? What characteristics of today's new
machinery
make the revolution _profound_ in comparison with the revolutions in
machinery in the last 100 years ?

Why is American society undergoing this and not the whole world ? If it is
the whole world then why not say the whole world ?

Thanks for the correct that should be can't - cannot.

You are correct. The entire world is entering and firmly within a  revolution
in the mode of production with some countries more advanced than  others.
Development of and revolution in the productive forces are always  uneven and
combined as a law of development.

Actually, every single improvement in the productive forces - quantitative
or qualitative, are eventually spread throughout the world. I will be more
careful so as not to give the impression that talking about America means "only

in America."

The inside of a computer is different - a different technology, from
machines founded on the principles of mechanical motion using a structure of
mechanical gears, levers, fly wheels and transfer bars.

Find an old adding machine used by H&R block - from 30 years ago,
disassemble it, lay all it parts on a table; then take your computer ,
disassemble it,
lay all its parts on the table and the difference your eyes are  looking at is
the difference between a system of mechanical gears, levers, fly  wheels and
what you see as the components of your computer. That is how one can  see the
difference. I did describe the "why" and "how" in a critique of an  article by
John Case, writer of Political Affairs some time ago.

The process is extremely interesting because each incremental grafting onto
an existing system, a qualitatively new technology runs into barriers that are
 the "pathways" of the old system. At a certain stage of development a
further  grafting "onto" is not possible and the entire system one is dealing
with
is  totally reconfigured. The difference between the old memo printing
machines, all radical groups had in the 1960's and 1970's and modern  printers
is
profound. The new printing machines are not modified Gestetners. The  long
history of transition from Gutenberg cold type press, modified by the
industrial
revolution with complex gears and levers, to today's printing  machines is
breathtaking. I was trained in the 8 th and 9 th grade to set cold  type and
become
a printer, only to become aware of the change wave when our  "group"
purchased one of IBM's new typesetting machines in 1969/70. By 1980
Compugraphic over
took IBM in the typesetting field. Apple 1984 Computer - with  its famous
1984 won't be 1984 commercial, was a turning point and this  technological
regime
sunk companies like Compugraphic, more or less.

Then the welding and paint shops in plants began change and the first
generation of advance robotics were introduced. The current generation of
robotics are not inhibited in their movement and motion like the first.

The devices I play music with today are fundamentally different from my old
Maranx 2045 and Technics turntables. Turntables still exist, but even today'e
1970ish  CD players are being replaced.

You basically cannot tune up your car today. I tried because the number 3
piston was misfiring. Today's automobile engines could not be designed like
this
 25 - 35 years ago. Boy was I pissed. There goes $150 bucks. We crossed the
threshold separating mechanical driven motion some time ago.

Grafting on the new technological regime to the existing system is the
meaning of revolution in the machinery of society. All revolution in the
machinery
begin with the incremental - quantitative, grafting onto, the existing
machinery, a qualitatively new kind of or enhanced device, instrument, tool,
energy source, machine, or technology.  Such was the exact same case with  the
revolution from simple manufacture to industry. Eventually a new or enhanced
external energy source has to come into existence for the further expansion of
the new technology.

We are not driving my fathers "old" Oldsmobile.

If you are implying that society is not going through a revolution in the
machinery of society, bringing to an end expansion on the old basis of that,
which made the industrial revolution, well industrial - founded on  mechanical
motion principles, then how does one explain the technological regime  of the
computer and this stage of advanced robotics? The semi-conductor -  integrated
chip, is truly revolutionary.

WL.
**************Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax professional in your
neighborhood today.