>> CB:  You have a different attitude toward the Obama  "event" than I do. I
think we should rally the working class in support of him.  It's true it's
because it's the best we have right now, but , there you go. It's  sort of like
supporting Coleman Young as Mayor.<<

What is the Marxist perspective of our current economic, social and
political environment of which Barack Obama is a part? What correlation of
class
forces and intersection allowed for Obama to be elected president? What is the
practice of the working class movement forming the framework by which Obama the

person as President to be weighed, measured and assessed? What are the
spontaneous demands of that section of the working class in motion that
President
Obama and the entire institutional political sphere responding to?  What phase
of the process of social revolution currently exists? What is the  role of
communists in the social process?

America is undergoing a profound political, economic and social collapse.
Collapse does not mean "no one is working" or that the political system and
social relations have been shattered and no longer operate. When a society
undergoes collapse . . . . revolutionary collapse, this means the old ways of
doing things and the old social relations of the previous period is undergoing
transformation. Specifically the old "platform" or infrastructure relations
that
 held society together is straining and collapsing as society attempts to
leap to  a new infrastructure relations.

This was the case with the Civil rights movement, which in the first and
last instance, had as its impetus the tractor or the mechanization of
agriculture and pushing 11 million sharecroppers off of the land and first into

Southern small towns and cities and then to the North where these folks would
take
their place in the industrial social order. The tractor was introduced by
International Harvester in 1939. One can shift backwards through history and
see
- in retrospect, how every deepening quantitative boundary in the
mechanization  of agriculture had its corresponding and intensifying advance in
the
political  struggle as the Civil Rights Movement.  The Civil Rights movement
was a
social movement for economic and social justice; for the expansion of
political  liberty. The old society constituted on the basis of Jim Crow
segregation
collapsed. First this old society was breached, then shattered and finally
swept  away by a cross section of American society (class intersection), but
all
of  this was dependent upon and corresponded with changes in the means of
production.

The Marxist conception of "collapse" and "revolutionary collapse" is not  the
ideology of "any damn thing can happen" or "one damn thing after another"
but transformation; the dialectic of the leap or the transition from one kind
of
 society configuration to another. This Marxist understanding gives us the
ideological conviction to wage the never ending struggle with the bourgeois
power.

America is undergoing the early stages of revolutionary collapse.

Specifically, incremental qualitative changes in the productive forces  begin
polarizing and unraveling all classes and class fragments as society  strains
to adjust and reorient itself around a new technological regime. This
reorientation appears as fight and attack by all classes and class fragments
against the existing regime. Each class and class fragment is seeking to
achieve
reorganization and stability on a new basis, but this stability cannot be
achieved because the property relations prevent the completion of the leap.
Further, the private ownership of socially necessary property, prevents the
fullest
development of the new technological regime in servicing the socially
necessary means of life for the masses. Consequently, a spontaneous series of
chain
reactions by various sectors of society, from various points of view, is
destroying - unraveling, the society political infrastructure and social
relations created during the industrial era.

That is why the fascist and Republican have becomes so outspoken and  adamant
in their condemnation of any change. The real political fascist in
government very well understand the social process.

What emerges in the political sphere is the competing of different classes
and class fragments with intersecting interest and this clash and struggle is
called the "class struggle" that drives society forward. This class struggle
revealed itself in a tiny way during the campaign phase of the Presidential
election. It was a historically specific alignment of social forces that
allowed  Obama to best Senator Clinton as the Democratic Party nominee for
President
and  then best Senator John McCain. Some view this alignment as "white people
doing  the right thing" - "one damn thing after another," or waging the
"heroic  struggle against racism."

I do not.

What is wrong (not who is wrong) with most of the discussions is the utter
lack of an ounce of class unraveling of social forces and painting America in
the most primitive concepts of race.

That is what is wrong.

Obama was able to cement his victory over Senator Clinton and Senator  McCain
on the basis of winning over a vast segment of proletarians in the Mid  West
who traditionally voted Republican or as Red States. This layer of our
working class has been undergoing systematic economic ruin for the past decade
and
Senator Obama carefully appealed  to their economic interest and  specific
sense of morality; its meaning as society ethics and demands for  liberty and
justice. This was spelled out in the ideological realm as "I - the  individual,
have a right to the means by which I can support myself and my  family."

In other words the American ideology and conception of liberty.

This layer of workers that constituted Obama victory cannot be held in  place
and prevented from drifting to the right on the basis of praising Obama.  The
only strategy opened to communists is to lean how to fight and articulate
their economic interest in terms that express how people think things out  and
in a way not in antagonism with their morality. Without the fight for sides  as
a class concept, we are going to face a populist movements that leads to
political fascism. The only way to talk about class interest is to speak of
class as an interest. We have to say the words and not rely upon some kind of
mental telepathy.

The historic comparison between Obama and Detroit Mayor Coleman Young seems
to be a comparison limited to the color factor in American history. Coleman
Young - "a real man," was elected as the shattering and destruction of the
system of Jim Crow, as part of the rising curve of the Black Power Movement.
The
Black Power Movement grew out of the Civil Rights Movement as social process
of  getting blacks elected into public office or integrating the national
electoral  sphere. The Civil Rights Movement was the broad social movement to
change the  social sphere as Jim Crow and enact legislation to safeguard the
new
social  relations. The Black Power movement was more limited and focused on
electoral  politics and various off shoots of economic nationalism.

For those of us in Detroit this period of the Black Power Movement began
closing the moment Coleman Young was elected and we immediately passed over to
our Vote Communist Campaigns. However, the close of this period in Detroit did
not make it so throughout all of America.

In respects to the election of Coleman Young, our pre-election negotiations
with him was straight forth and to the point.  In addition to demanding the
dismantling of the extra legal organization of the police violence/department
as  the STRESS unit, our support and campaigning was contingent upon agreement
to  dismantle the other extra legal terrorist police organization: "The Red
Squad"  and the surrender of all the police and surveillance files of all
groups
 throughout the city. We support and praised Coleman Young who carried out
his  agreements to the letter and beyond. Plus, Coleman Young was always a
fighter  alongside the communists, with an impeccable track record as State
representative, and before that as "the man who opposed The House UnAmerican
Activity Committee."

Such is the praxis of dealing with political officials by some communists  in
our country. We negotiate on behalf of our political pole and the needs of
the forward moving sector of the working class.

While it is true that there is no national political structure to establish
a communist political pole, as the political basis for negotiations with the
President; a communist pole - polarity in America, must be fought for. This
means grouping anyone and everyone around the simple idea and demand that says:

"the only way for people with little or no money to receive socially
necessary means of life, is for government to provide them."

Victory to the workers in that struggle.

I personally believe Obama to be an unusually astute, profoundly  theoretical
and political genius in his battles with his sectarian opponents,  many who
are outright fascists.

However, I will die, go to hell and run through fire with gasoline panties
on, before I praise some mutherf***ker over extending unemployment insurance
and  a $25 f**king dollars a week raise.

Concessions are to be treated in the Marxists way.

We fight for concession because we want them or we would not fight for  them.
 To begin with even Obama does not treat the Obama stimulus package  as his
package. The stimulus package is a complex compromise of competing  economic
interest in which various classes and class fragments go what they  wanted in
varying degrees. That is why no distinct political current likes the  bill, but
the bill expresses this moment of class intersection.

There is no need to praise Obama, when he himself is not praising this
compromise. Look, Obama is good - very good, and is just in the process of
unraveling a strategy for the next few years and beyond.

Without question there is going to areas of the Obama administration
legislative mandates and perhaps political policies that intersect with the
interest
of the working class and its various layers. For instance the Obama
administration is facing a need for political shift in international relations,
 not
just international diplomacy. In respects to the Palestinian issue, raised a
couple of thread ago, our government supports the state of Israel to the tune
of  roughly $10 million a day. I do not take a position that this economic
support  should be totally eliminated, but a real reduction to say the same $25
fu**ing  week raise the Obama administration is extending to the unemployed
seems fair to  me. If one must give the state of Israel money about $900 a
month
seems  reasonable to me.

Obviously if it was left up to me, which it is not, I would not give them a
dime.

Not even a food stamp.

The question of Afghanistan was raised in the same thread.

I am aware that there are dangers in the world and to suggest dismantling
the entire American military is silly thinking. However, in Afghanistan we can
close all our military bases, withdraw all our troops and drones and then spy
on  the country from outer space. Those who feel a moral duty to help the
country  economically can send hard goods in the form of infrastructure things
and
food.  Those who feel strongly about the treatment of Afghan women should be
able to  submit their programs of help to our government to ascertain how to
help without  military force. One can of course emigrate to Afghanistan.

Rather, it seems to me that communist should figure out how to fight to
rally the working class around and in support of its own self interest; and
then
extend support to those in the political sphere who support achieving our
interest in the legislative arena.

WL.