“In community, the individual is, crucial as the prior condition for
forming a community. … Every individual in the community guarantees
the community; the public is a chimera, numerality is everything…”

– Søren Kierkegaard, Journals

^^^^
Pace Kierkegaard, of course , for we social determinists , this is
absolutely backward, fundamentally wrong. The social, the communal,
the community is prior to individuals. Kierkegaard's statement is a
basic maxim of bourgeois ideology, whether as existentialism,
libertarianism, Social Darwinism, positivism, Reaganism, Tea Parting
et al. In all , "the" individual is primary over and determinative of
the social. It is an error in the understanding of the levels of
organization of reality, and specifically of human life.  Human
culture, society and history constitute an emergent level of reality,
in which the whole is more than the some of its parts, and is
determinative of the parts. It is a philosophical error concerning the
relationship of the whole and the parts. "The" human individual is a
social individual. Even Kierkegaard was; he just didn't know it. So,
is the most radical libertarian; they just don't know it. Our species
name should be, not homo sapiens, but homo communis. Our high level of
sociality is the differentia specifica of our species.