-----Original Message----- From: Jeff via Marxism

. But you can't really blame people getting bombed
from the sky for trying to shoot down the planes that bomb them. If you
do, then you have to agree with the shabby and transparently dishonest
excuse the US gives for blocking Manpads to the FSA for years - that
"jihadists" might get them

Jeff: "But those have a much shorter range. I don't study military matters, but from what I understand bombing is normally done from low altitudes in order
to increase target accuracy, against which the shoulder fired missiles
would be effective, and actually more portable. The "separatists" who fired
that missile surely did not think they were protecting themselves from a
bomber."

MK: OK, if we're making that kind of technical distinction between the range of manpads and the BUK system, then that seems sensible enough to me. So to be clear, we are in favour of the Syrian rebels getting manpads but not anything with a far greater range. Thanks for another good argument against the US excuse for blocking manpads to the FSA.

Of course that technical discussion is entirely separate from the political discussion of right and wrong in Ukraine. Unfortunately, Clay got that confused: he also noted, very usefully, that:

"Because MH 17 was cruising at 10 km, it was in no danger from MANPADS. They can't reach that high. The Ukrainian AN-26 can't fly that high either. Only the Ukrainian IL-76 military transport, with a ceiling of 13km could have
been seen were the Boeing 777 was. It is not a bomber and the Ukrainians
haven't been conducting air attacks from 10km so the argument that shooting down a plane at 10km [ which require very special and expensive missiles ]
was necessary air defense is weak."

MK: Good, very useful. Unfortunately, he then confuses this with "learn(ing) to justify Russian imperialist military aggression in the Ukraine with reference to what I want the FSA to have for self-defense against that aggression in Syria."

A statement which is of course as irrelevant as it is confusing. I oppose both sides in the Ukraine, but specifically re this issue, if Putin supplied the rebels with warplanes to drop on Ukrainian-loyalist cities to try to subdue people who do not want to be subdued to them, then certainly Ukrainians would have the right to shoot down planes bombing their cities. But in this case, the shoe is on the other foot. Whatever your overall view on the Ukraine, launching an air war against cities in part of the country that does not want to be subdued by the current regime in Kiev is aggression, and the people below have the right to shoot down warplanes.

But the more useful part of Clay's (and Jeff's) discussion clarifies that they don't need missiles of the range the rebels apparently have.

Back to Jeff and Syria, Jeff says:

"The American concern for misuse of those portable missiles has to do with them being used closer to an airport where passenger planes are flying low."

Is it? Or is it more that the US will use any excuse to make sure the FSA has hardly any arms? Given the fact that the US has also given pretty much nothing else in terms of actual arms (as opposed to night goggles, radios and readymeals), I suggest the latter. My understanding is that Jeff generally agrees with this.

"And anyway, I'm not particularly keen to see ISIS obtain them (though I'll concede they'd have a right to shoot at planes bombing them). But if ISIS
were to obtain these BUK missiles? Whoa."

Obviously I'm not keen on that either. But of course the only force in the region that has been actually fighting - indeed, putting up an epic battle - against ISIS has been the FSA, its Islamist allies and Jabhat al-Nusra. They need good arms to fight both Assad and ISIS. Of course, it is not out of the question that ISIS could capture manpads from the FSA if they defeat them in battle. But things then become difficult to the point of impossible: as the US says, it can't allow the FSA to have manpads (or any other arms) because the FSA fights *together with* JaN, so JaN may get the weapons; and it can't allow the FSA to have manpads (or any other arms) because the FSA fights *against* ISIS, so ISIS may get the weapons; so even against the most terrible continuous air war against a population in the world, the victims are never entitled to defense no matter what they do. I know this isn't Jeff's opinion, but again this is why we need to separate the political from the technical discussion.

Of course, as I said, Kiev's air war compared to Assad's is like a flea next to an elephant, but the principle that air war is war crime remains, IMO. So in conclusion, Manpads, yes, BUKs, no.
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu