#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

"Wasn't Portland a sundown town?" Ad nauseum

Ok, this thread has become officially intolerable. Where do a bunch of White
marxists get off coming down on a whole state? Oregon has a racist history?
Right, because no other state nor this entire nation has no such history. What,
did you think that California was blessed with enlightened White people because
the Europeans who "populated" it spoke Spanish? Oh, and how about New
England--a real "bastion of Caucasian culture", where, you know, Plymouth Rock
landed on all those Indians and African Slaves. And, how about "multicultural"
New York City born in the equivalent of a @$24  sale from the native
populations and "now" (!) is so cosmopolitan that it results in the murders
Black people by the police for various and sundry "crimes" of, wait for it,
being Black.

And now we have well-heeled "left academics" who make a great living speaking
and writing about oppression recounting their, surprise!, horror stories about
how not simply White people, but a whole state, is racist.My, such erudition
and enlightenment is . . .underwhelming.

I lived in Oregon, Portland and the Willamette Valley, received my first
college degree there and if I could find the right opportunity, I would move
there in a second never mind a "New York minute".  I have also experienced
people who were not only immensely kind for no other reason than that I was
"different". I experienced support for some very unpopular points of view and
been questioned with respect even in the face of my admittedly tremendous ire.
There aren't enough Black (or Brown) people in Oregon? Really? There aren't
enough in the entire nation for my liking. Better yet, perhaps some of you
White people ought return to where "y'all" came from?!  Of course, I don't
really mean that in any way, but you will understand that how many of "us" is
not really the problem as I "sure" y'all know.

Just like every other place I've lived including my own home town in the Rio
Grande Valley of Texas where the vast majority are Chicano, not only have I
enountered racism but learned of our tremendously  racist history. Big deal.
I've also recognized, you know, as a Marxist, that White (never mind,
Latino/Chicano) working people have a historic role that is more concrete than
any ephemeral (historically speaking) limitd racist thinking that they may now
exhibit. I wonder if any of you bourgeois liberal-thinking pretend
revoutionaries even understand the quote of Marx's about "The philosophers have
only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it."?

One of the biggest disappointments in this list for me is the tremendously few
people of color and women who participate. I submit that one reason for that is
the kind bourgeois liberal thinking that creeps in when White Marxists get all
indignant about the racism "out in the sticks".

Yes, this was a harangue. Roll your eyes and keep on with the bourgeois liberal
crap recounting stories of racism that your White sensisibilities were subected
to from other White people. Or better yet, learn a little bit of tolerance if
not a longer view of history.