#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

-----Original Message----- From: Louis Proyect via Marxism

It is important to understand that the latest wave of refugees are from
the middle class as opposed to those who ended up in Turkey or Lebanon
since it takes substantial sums to pay for a trip on a boat, even as it
entails terrible risks. The flight of the middle-class indicates that
the Baathist state is crumbling from within as wealthier Sunnis are
deserting a system that was useful to them in the past. This no doubt is
related to stepped up Russian intervention as Assad's pals are trying to
plug the leaks.

Yes, including a lot of Alawites who see the futility of dying for the regime:

Syria Deeply had the rare opportunity to speak to Alawite supporters of Assad who have fled the country nonetheless.

When 24-year-old Hussain fled his village in Syria for Mersin, Turkey, six weeks ago, it didn’t feel like a choice. Knowing that he would eventually be called for mandatory military service in the Syrian army, he packed his bags and made the dangerous journey across the border. “I did not want to join the army – this is not my battle,” he told Syria Deeply

http://www.syriadeeply.org/articles/2015/08/7912/assad-support-alawites-syria/