#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Everyone is conflating the issue of sexual violence against women with the
question of the attackers' culture, their religion, immigration, etc. It
has gotten to the point that one poster submitted an article penned by the
leader of a notoriously anti-Muslim organization in the UK, and others on
the list are explicitly making the issue about the attackers' (presumed)
religious and ethnic backgrounds.

How anyone -- including Marxists -- can turn the issue of a dark-skinned
person engaging in rape in Germany into an issue of whether or not the
religious beliefs of people in other parts of the world encourage rape is
mindboggling and, by definition, xenophobic. It assumes that immigrant
groups in any part of the world are simply extensions of the cultures they
or their ancestors lived with in different contexts, ignoring the fact that
immigrant communities are very much a part of the communities in which they
live -- and, in cases like this, in which some of them carried out at least
one rape.

The fact that women are attacked anywhere by anyone is disgusting -- and as
I pointed out, along with the articles that have been posted by Andrew and
John Passant, that culture of rape has a long history in Germany alone, and
in particular in party culture (Oktoberfest, fraternities, etc). Rapes may
not happen at the same rate in every part of the world. But as far as what
happened in Cologne, that kind of sexual violence -- gang rapes by
party-goers -- is unfortunately infrequent in many parts of Europe and
North America.

Others seem to think that making this analogy is itself disrespectful to
women and their experiences in some way. Why? That is exactly what happened
here: party-goers decided to get drunk, rowdy, and rape-y. Somehow, the
same terrible crimes that are pervasive in youth party culture were
re-written into a story about hundreds of Arab men forming a horde,
rampaging through the streets of Cologne raping every white woman in sight.
That is, outside of being ridiculous, so obviously racist and reminiscent
of the kinds of rumor-mongering about Africans in the United States, that I
am astonished that others on the list would embrace such a narrative. I'm
also surprised at how instinctively defensive others on the list have been.
Merely pointing out that racist tropes are being used by the far-right to
exaggerate this crime (from one rape and pervasive sexual harassment by
thirty men into hundreds of rapes by thousands of men) is being conflated
with defending or downplaying the crime itself. Rape is always wrong -- and
so are racist and xenophobic explanations for rape culture.

- Amith