#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Well...my understanding is that Brill's target audience are institutions
and not individuals. I have zero problem waiting a year for a book to be
published as was noted, by Haymarket Books. So what? In fact, Haymarket
does publish *all* Brill's works, or has the right to do so, if it's from
the HM series.

Brill also doesn't have a page/word limit unlike almost all other
publishers, leftwing or not. I think "what' went wrong" is that people want
books "right now" and can't seem wait for the cheaper versions with more
human prices once they see Brill publishing it. We are not talking about
the price of bread or subway fare, here. If the HM series didn't exist as
it is, likely a lot fewer of the HM series books would ever seen ink on
paper. So...I simply don't gave a crap about what Brill charges, I care
about accessibility via Haymarket.

David Walters

Well, but David, that may be Brill's target audience, but should it be HMs? There's a revolution to be made, , which can't wait, the conference proceedings of this vaunted left venue, if they have any merit, might just contribute to that process. If they don't, are they esoterica, ephemera or of value only as studies of historic events, with little or no relevance to present events, crises and the radical left? Is that all that HM contributors offer? Not really. David Harvey gets out one book after another, in many cases invaluable theoretical contributions relating to current problems, but he also makes available, shortly after they are delivered, the videos and in come cases transcriptions and articles on which he is currently working. With volunteers. That process also provides him with a broader, worldwide forum for critique, by others than academicians, before reaching the book stage.

And what we get in Haymarket format has already been discussed in more rarified reaches, by those with access to the institutions that Brill targets, and in many cases I'm sure has been critiqued in ways that would be valuable for movement participants and labor to know about and to act accordingly - soonest in many cases I can think of. This is a question of substantive equality. I think it is important. There is a better way, and others do a good job of it. Conference proceedings, if they are at all relevant to the agency of change, the working class, whom I assume HM is concerned about, could be transcribed or at least video-taped quickly for those with that kind of need to know. They don't do that, or didn't the last time I checked. And then there's the business about Weekly Worker. Pecksniffish I say.

And what of the countless volunteer hours that must be put in on the invaluable material at MIA, which you are in part responsible for as I recall and which is freely available online?

---