#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 9/1/16 4:46 PM, A.R. G via Marxism wrote:
As for what we should have supported, there were multiple, functioning mass
movements in the country in 1964, and you'll note that most of them did not
play electoral politics at all.

Not exactly. SDS had become fairly massive by that point and raised the slogan "Part of the Way with LBJ". The CPUSA, which was still the largest "Leninist" group on the left, would have upped the ante and called for "All the Way with LBJ". In fact the dynamics of the 1964 election were JUST like those today. Voting for anybody but LBJ was considered the same thing as voting for Goldwater who everybody thought was ready to blow up the world with hydrogen bombs. He said "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" That was widely interpreted as a threat to impose a fascist dictatorship on the USA.