#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Franklin Lamb certainly came from the so-called pro"Resistance-camp" tradition, but I don't remember that he was ever all over Assad, or that he engaged in the shallow rank conspiracism of many of that camp. He was certainly never a Tim Anderson/Vanessa Beeley type. While we have seen a clear change recently, I'm actually less surprised that it is him than I would be of may others. There was a certain decency in his writing, where did try to report what he saw. If his discourse tended towards one side, he was not averse to reporting on the suffering of the other.

An example is this from Lamb, talking to Libyan revolutionaries in Misrata shortly after the fall of Gaddafi: http://almanar.com.lb/english/adetails.php?fromval=1&cid=41&frid=41&eid=35396. Certainly Lamb's sympathies are clear enough, and there is perhaps some "editing" of the voices of the thuwar, but there is also a certain honesty in the way he deals with their reasons for fighting the Gaddafi regime and in particular his "henchmen." I saw many similar articles from Syria around 2012-13, then I didn't see him write much.

-----Original Message----- From: Louis Proyect via Marxism