#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

"The capitalist class remains atomized socially and
politically but are allowed to function well within the rules of capitalist
accumulation all subordinated and "planned" by the state."

With all due respect David, I have no idea how you wrote that, since
you have often described your own visit to China some years back. If
you didn't see copious and proud and boastful displays of unbridled
wealth more or less everywhere, then I'd have to assume you were
mistaken about which country you were visiting. Socially, the
capitalist place is the opposite of atomised. Socially,they are all
powerful, and this is celebrated in the state-owned media, and in the
top rungs of the Chinese "Communist" Party. Politically, since the CCP
opened its doors to the capitalist class around 2001, they've flooded
into the party,and party members, leaders, governors etc have
hurriedly and massively embraced this new directive to become leaders
of the "advanced productive forces". Anthony's post just now about the
numbers of billionnaires at the top of the party and state tell us
just how politically non-atomised they are.

Yes, a kind of state-directed capitalism, like Keynesianism, like
fascism, like Nasserism/Peronism, like NICism etc. But a "state
capitalist state" as some kind of new social formation? A tad
unscientific I would think.

Really, what is the big resistance still to recognising China as a
capitalist state?