#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

First, the discussion started when he distributed the nonsensical statement of the YPG that HTS would participate in the Turkish assault against Afrin. Until now no serious person has confirmed this. The argument that may be some ex-members of HTS are participating is nonsense. Shall we start to discuss the past of the various SDF units?

Secondly, and more interesting, is comrade Slee’s statement: “The RCIT places a lot of importance on the fact that HTS rejects the Astana agreement. But groups should be judged on what they are for, not just what they are against. HTS stands for theocratic dictatorship. They are enemies of the Syrian revolution - if by "Syrian revolution" we mean the struggle for democracy that began in 2011.”

Right, let us judge force by what they are for, not only what they are against. Naturally, we shouldn’t start with some rhetorical ideological commitments. Hence we don’t judge the PKK/YPG in the first place by their crude mixture of Kurdish nationalism and Anarcho-Stalinism. Neither do we judge the imperialists by their claims that they would intervene for the sake of “democracy”, “human rights”, “fight against terrorism”, etc.

We judge them all by their deeds, not their phrase-mongering.

The deeds of the imperialist Great Powers are undisputed in this forum so I will not dwell in this.

The deeds of the YPG are that they have played for years a crucial role in helping US imperialism to build a strong basis in North and East Syria (including many military bases), that they have collaborated with the Assad regime and that at no moment did they join the Syrian Revolution. This is what these people are for in deeds (not in ideological phrases reprinted naively in “Green Left Weekly”!) This is the difference in deeds. For us Marxists this difference in practice is not irrelevant!

In opposite to the YPG, the HTS and other forces are confronting Assad and the imperialist forces – not inviting and serving them like the YPG. True, they combine this with a reactionary Islamist utopian program. We have seen such combinations various times in history. To give just two examples: the liberations struggle in Morocco against the Spanish and French imperialists led by the Islamist Abdel Karim in the 1920s (and strongly supported by the communists) or the resistance of the Palestinians led by Hamas.

All those Islamophobic “leftists” who refuse support for such movement because of the latters Islamist agenda, are lost for the anti-imperialist struggle.

Michael Pröbsting

--
Revolutionär-Kommunistische Organisation BEFREIUNG
(Österreichische Sektion der RCIT, www.thecommunists.net)

---