#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Monthly Review always had soft Maoist politics. In other words, Stalinism.
All the Stalinists and "ex" Stalinists are now returning to their roots as
far as the war in Syria is concerned. The role of the capitalist class in
the ex-colonial world? Yes, they can play an independent and progressive
role. Class struggle in the ex-colonial world? It doesn't exist. The
independent role of the working class there? Also non-existent.

What's so disgraceful is all the supposed "Trotskyists" who have adapted to
this situation and in practice are taking the same position when it comes
to Syria. I had a long time "Trotskyist" tell me that the Syrian capitalist
class is "different" from the capitalist class in Saudi Arabia. The clear
implication was that the Syrian capitalists can play an independent role.
This same person accused me of taking the same position in relation to
Syria as Max Schachtman took in the Vietnam War. As older comrades will
probably know, Schachtman - the former Trotskyist turned hard core
anti-Communist - supported the US invasion of Vietnam. There is just one
little problem with that accusation - well, actually one of several: For me
to be taking the Schachtman position, then Assad must be playing the same
role as Ho Chi Minh!

These comrades have been hanging out with the Stalinists too long.

John Reimann