Yeah, I wouldn't buy into the fairy tale your interlocutor put out about how
charitable the Soviets were in their intentions for Germany.  A little naive.
"The Tin Drum" I think pretty much describes the tenor of those times.
Nonetheless, as I've always thought since childhood, the cause of the Allies
and the Soviets was a just one, notwithstanding whatever war crimes they
committed.  Now, people can be called deniers of anything but I think they are
right in demanding to see evidence for certain claims, particularly when they
are used a certain political purpose.  While we're at it: how many women were
raped by US soldiers in WW2?   more than a few.  does that mean it was an
official policy of the US government that that take place or was it the
indicispline of frustrated soldiers in the field, sadly a common corrollary of
warfare.  Quite frankly, civilians, particularly, in certain parts of Italy
were more afraid of American soldiers than German ones as they tended to be
less diciplined and less sober.  One story is about how they or "we" broke into
the wine cellars in a certain town that the German troops would never been
"permitted" to do etc etc. with the women fleeing into the hills.

So, that two million women were raped by Soviet troops

AS A FUNCTION OF OFFICIAL SOVIET GOVERNMENT POLICY, that is an assertion that
seems highly questionable and one, like WMDs in Iraq, should be viewed with
skepticism.

> Dismissing the facts in this case for political comfort seems to me
> not very different than denying the holocaust or Obama's birth in the
> US....
>
> ML

Get your vacation photos on your phone!
http://windowsliveformobile.com/en-us/photos/default.aspx?&OCID=0809TL-HM