My work with LOM was in Seattle where they did an excellent job around
CISPES, being probably the largest organized contingent together with
Workers World with the SWP having been reduced to second fiddle by that
point.  As for Jesse Jackson their attitude was similar to that of most
people on the Left, including me, that this was a unique historic phenomenon
that had mass in motion behind and should be supported and intervened into,
critically or not so critically, notwithstanding whatever standing
ideological objections we might have had.

I know who the druggie guy was and wasn't surprised when I heard that about
him later as I remember hearing him talk in 1986 and then going up to him in
person for a brief conversation where he seemed to display the agitated and
grandiose demeanor and sudden mood swings of a certain substance that was
pretty widespread at the time, and I don't mean marijuana.  David Crosby's
autobiography Long Time Gone spends some time dealing with this issue in the
author's life and how difficult it was trying to work public appearances
around needs of this insidious addiction.