But Jared, a curious teenager who at times could be intellectually
intimidating, stood out because of his passionate opinions about
government — and his obsession with dreams.

He became intrigued by antigovernment conspiracy theories, including that
the Sept. 11 attacks were perpetrated by the government and that the
country’s central banking system was enslaving its citizens. His anger
would well up at the sight of President George W. Bush, or in discussing
what he considered to be the nefarious designs of government.

“I think he feels the people should be able to govern themselves,” said
Ms. Figueroa, his former girlfriend. “We didn’t need a higher authority.”

Breanna Castle, 21, another friend from junior and senior high school,
agreed. “He was all about less government and less America,” she said,
adding, “He thought it was full of conspiracies and that the government
censored the Internet and banned certain books from being read by us.”

Among the books that he would later cite as his favorites: “Animal Farm,”
“Fahrenheit 451,” “Mein Kampf” and “The Communist Manifesto.” Also: “Peter
Pan.”

And there was that fascination with dreams. Ms. Castle acknowledged that
in high school, she too developed an interest in analyzing her dreams. But
Jared’s interest was much deeper.

“It started off with dream interpretation, but then he delved into the
idea of accessing different parts of your mind and trying to control your
entire brain at all times,” she said. “He was troubled that we only use
part of our brain, and he thought that he could unlock his entire brain
through lucid dreaming.”

With “lucid dreaming,” the dreamer supposedly becomes aware that he or she
is dreaming and then is able to control those dreams. George Osler IV, the
father of one of Jared’s former friends, said his son explained the notion
to him this way: “You can fly. You can experience all kinds of things that
you can’t experience in reality.”

full: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/us/16loughner.html