I will note that I said on your blog something to this effect - if the right
wing discourse sometimes sounds schizophrenic this tells us something about
the right wing but little about schizophrenia or schizophrenics. I have
agreed with your take on Loughner though not necessarily with your take on
the tea party (I see the tea party as connected to a dangerous right wing
authoritarian trend in neoliberal democracy, they may be a distraction now
but it does not mean they will remain so). The general lack of understanding
of mental illness has been discouraging. In part this is is no doubt simply
the result of the general public lack of knowledge about mental illness but
I wonder if it also doesn't have to do with a certain reluctance on the left
to see people in biological terms. Certainly there is a very real history of
the misuse of biological concepts for reactionary political ends so it is
reasonable to be suspicious and critical (and I think this became ingrained
during the new left as a sort of knee-jerk response) but frankly there is a
lot of good science out there now on the biological basis of behavior that
we won't be able to ignore forever. Sorting out the politics of recent
advances in neurobiology and genetics is a task that remains to be done. To
recognize that biology must be taken seriously both in itself and at a
political level is not to be reductionist or 'biologist' it is to be
materialist.