I read the paper. It's the 2020 Cultural Logic piece, and I'll deal with it 
before returning to the argument I actually care about.

First, my correction. I said Furr calls a document fake whenever it's signed. 
Charles said he sorts three ways: genuine, forged, and undetermined. That's 
accurate as a description of what Furr says he's doing. The paper's own 
conclusion is what settles the matter, and not in Charles's direction. Having 
decided from the circumstantial evidence that the Germans did it, Furr writes 
that it "necessarily follows" that the Closed Packet documents are forgeries, 
because they contradict what he has already established as genuine. That is not 
a document being assessed. That is a verdict being read backward into the file. 
He says so plainly, which I'll credit him for, and it's the whole of my 
original point.

How he gets there is the part worth looking at. Earlier in the paper he lays 
down a rule: since the packet documents would settle Soviet guilt if genuine 
and would leave no evidence of it if forged, an honest inquiry has to set them 
aside and decide the case on evidence not in dispute. Read that again. The 
ground for excluding a piece of evidence is that it would be decisive. Apply 
that rule anywhere else, and no case is ever proved, because the strongest item 
in every file is the first one out.

Then watch which items the rule catches. Out go the Politburo packet, the 
residents' testimony in the German report, and the 1990 statements by retired 
NKVD men. Every one of those points at the Soviets. In stays the Burdenko 
Commission's testimony, which is what he uses to discredit two of the three. 
Burdenko was a Soviet wartime body investigating whether the Soviet state had 
done it, at a moment when the answer mattered enormously to that state. Under 
Furr's own standard, it should be the first thing set aside. It survives 
because it says the right thing.

His definition of "unimpeachable" does the same work at the level of 
vocabulary. Evidence qualifies if no party contests it, or if a party contests 
it and then stops mentioning it. So the category is fixed by how opponents 
behave in print rather than by where the document came from. And the 
affirmative case against the packet rests on material an anonymous 
self-declared forger handed to a Communist Party deputy in the Duma in 2010: 
drafts, stamps, and blank letterhead. That gets called a credible challenge. A 
protocol from the Politburo archive with signatures on it does not clear the 
bar. I don't know how to describe that ranking except as the conclusion of 
doing the sorting.

Now the part I won't wave away, because it's the only real content in the 
paper. The Volodymyr-Volyns'kiy material is a genuine problem for someone. Two 
badges of Ostashkov men whose plaques stand at Mednoe, turning up in a 
Ukrainian grave where the recovered casings are overwhelmingly German and dated 
1941. A Polish archaeological report saying so, then a sequence of revisions in 
which those findings stop being mentioned. If that holds up, and I can't verify 
Furr's account of the report from here, then some names on the Katyn and Mednoe 
lists belong to men who died elsewhere, at other hands, later. That is worth 
knowing, and it embarrasses the tidy version.

It also doesn't reach where he needs it to go. Contaminated lists and bad 
identifications tell you the accounting is wrong. They don't tell you the 
Politburo didn't decide. Furr needs the second and has produced the first, and 
he closes the distance with the deduction I quoted rather than with evidence.

One more cost, since he raises it himself. On his account, Shelepin, who ran 
the KGB, believed his own service had shot the Poles on the strength of what 
his own people told him and was wrong. Gorbachev's foreign minister, his KGB 
chairman, and the head of the International Department all urged him to confess 
a crime the USSR hadn't committed, having found nothing. That's a lot of people 
inside the apparatus getting the apparatus wrong. Possible. But a theory that 
has to carry it should say what it's carrying.

And now I've spent a page in the archives, which is the outcome I predicted and 
the reason I didn't want to start. Charles can send another paper, and I can 
send another page, and neither of us will move. The question I'd rather he 
answer is the one none of this touches. Whatever happened in the Katyn forest, 
the Soviet worker had no say over what was produced or where it went, and 
neither does the worker in Camas. If that isn't what socialists are against, 
I'd like to hear what is.

--
Tony


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#43358): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/43358
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/121137801/21656
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/marxmail/leave/13617172/21656/1316126222/xyzzy 
[[email protected]]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Reply via email to