/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */



----- Original Message -----
From: Fuzzy Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Josh Lothian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 3:15 AM
Subject: Re: Telnet no longer works


> Josh Lothian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I have an interesting problem.
>
> I'll say.
>
> > Previously, I could telnet out from and into the masq box with no
> > problems.  However, now, I can only telnet out from the internal
> > machines form behind the masq machine.  When I try to telnet out
> > directly from the masq machine, to the same server, I get the login
> > prompt, but it says i have an invalid password.
>
> So, you are *succeeding* in telnetting from the masq box, but the remote
> machine doesn't understand what you type.  That doesn't much of any
> sense, because TCP packets have checksums to guard against their being
> lost, or re-ordered, and besides that, when you telnet FROM the masq box
> itself, there is NO MASQUERADE involved!  So why would that go wrong?
>
I know what can go wrong, now.  On a whim, I tried changing out keyboards on
the masquerade machine.  VOILA!  It turns out that the keyboard I was using
is going bad, or something.  I think it may be the motherboard, since the
new keybaord also has problems (it will occasionally repeat characters that
I type).  So, it turns out that one of the keys in my password wasn't
working right, so when I had entered the password initally for the user I
created, it was different from what I thought it was.  Hence, when I tried
to telnet in the internal LAN, the password I was using was incorrect.  Same
thing when I was telnetting *out*.  The old keyboard wasn't typing what I
thought it was, and again, wrong password.  I went back and changed the
passwords using the new keyboard, and everything is working like it should
now.  Thanks for the help anyway.

> --
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Nothing takes the taste out of
peanut

--
Josh Lothian
[EMAIL PROTECTED]



_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/

Reply via email to