/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


> From:  "Josh Lothian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:  Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:37:04 -0400
>
> I know what can go wrong, now.  On a whim, I tried changing out keyboards on
> the masquerade machine.  VOILA!  It turns out that the keyboard I was using
> is going bad, or something.  I think it may be the motherboard, since the
> new keybaord also has problems (it will occasionally repeat characters that
> I type).  So, it turns out that one of the keys in my password wasn't
> working right, so when I had entered the password initally for the user I
> created, it was different from what I thought it was.  Hence, when I tried
> to telnet in the internal LAN, the password I was using was incorrect.  Same
> thing when I was telnetting *out*.  The old keyboard wasn't typing what I
> thought it was, and again, wrong password.  I went back and changed the
> passwords using the new keyboard, and everything is working like it should
> now.  Thanks for the help anyway.

Did you ever hear the story about the guy who could log in if he was sitting 
down, but not if he was standing up?

Apparently it took hours to diagnose this one.  It turned out that the 'n' 
and 'm' key caps were swapped on the keyboard.  When he sat down, he touch 
typed; when he stood up, he hunted and pecked.  He had either an 'n' or an 'm' in 
his password but not in his username.

This may not be a true story, but it should be.

Chris

-- 
Chris Garrigues                 virCIO
http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/   http://www.virCIO.Com
+1 512 432 4046                 +1 512 374 0500
                                4314 Avenue C
O-                              Austin, TX  78751-3709
                                

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html 

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.




[demime 0.91c removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/

Reply via email to