/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
David, and all,
Just a note to let you know that my issue with the Proliant 2500 is the
internal integrated Netelligent 10/100 NIC! Don't use it. Install two
PCI NICs and this will resolve the problem.
Many thanks to Jon Watts for his assistance.
Details:
The issue is with the TLAN Linux driver and the Proliant 2500 internal
NIC. Even upgrading to Linux v2.2.10 (which increased the NICs download
speed by 500%) still did not correct the stall problems. Our best guess
is that Compaq modified (tweezed) the chipset or opcodes so that it no
longer matches published specs, and the individual who wrote the TLAN
driver did not have a Proliant 2500 to test with, so this was never
caught. Also this server is on the Redhat approved hardware list!
We tested each NIC I had to the cablemodem, and by using Netscape in
Xwindows on the Proliant were able to identify that the stalls were
unique to the integrated Compaq NIC. My new NIC config is a Intel
EtherExpress Pro 10/100 using eepro100.c ( a remarketted Compaq WS NIC,
not the server card) (which averaged 400KB/sec during downloads of a
large .tar file) as the cablemodem pipe card and a 3Com Etherlink XL
10/100 using 3c59x.c(which averaged 300KB/sec during downloads of the
same .tar file) for the internal network.
Interesting side note: We tested the standard 3Com Etherlink XL 10 only
PCI card that @home installs by default using the same 3c59x.c, and it
only gets 30 KB/sec during downloads of the same .tar file, so be warned
that there is a big performance difference in the cards on the same 10
Mbps pipe!
I still have some fine tuning to do, including changing the window in
all the route add spots in ifup, but that is for next week.
Thought everyone would like to know. If you know of place where this
needs to be posted to get to the rest of the people who need it, please
forward.
Thanks for everyone's help and attention.
Original message:
Here is my current situation
I have built my first Linux (RH6) Server. I
haven't worked with Unix in almost 15 years. This has been a real
learning experience.
I need help with masquerading performance tuning. I have my server on a
cable modem on
eth0 and a 100M LAN on eth1. I have the email and brousing working, but
downloads a incredibly slow and some web sites take forever to load (if
not at all)
while others pop right up. I also get monster email messages from
home.com which time out when checking for new mail (I know I can
unsubscribe from this, but I need to be able to get this type of email
through my Linux MASQ server; so for now I log onto a direct Win95 PC
and dump the @home junk).
I'll spare you the details (other than I am
on a Compaq Proliant 2500 (Pentium Pro 200) w/ 96M RAM and eth0 is on
the integrated Compaq 10/100 NIC.
I am composing this on a Win95 PC through the masq. so it is working,
but performance is poor compared to connecting a Win95 PC direct to the
same cablemodem.
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/