/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */



>Compaq Engineering has decided that they will not provide or release
>hardware drivers unless they can be fully certified and supported. Since
>Linux does not have a single source manufacture, this is not possible with
>Linux. But you can by all means make a formal request in writing to Compaq
>Engineering concerning your need for Linux drivers. The address is:


What a crock of shit!  Its called the author of the NIC driver you 
morons!  Grrr... Oh well.  I guess I recommend to DISABLE the on-board 
Compaq NIC and install a DEC-Tulip based one.

FYI people.. 

many of you have had heard that Dec had stopped making the Tulip 10/100Mb/
s chipset.  Well, I'm happy to say that this weekend, I installed (28) 
NetGear FA-310TX cards with the "Netgear LC82C169C" chipset.  They *ARE* 
the Tulip chipset!  

Woohoo!  So it sounds like Netgear (Bay now NorTel) has picked up
this excellent ethernet chipset.  So, if you are looking for the
best supported ethernet card, get these Netgear cards.  If you can't
get them, I understand that the Intel Pro/100 cards are the
next best supported NIC though they still can't touch the
Tulip's support in the 2.2.x kernels.

--David
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|  David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware         [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
!----                                                                    ----!
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'


_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/

Reply via email to