/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


I am having a similar problem to that which is being discussed.  I am
regularly finding message log entries such as the following:

============================================================

Jan 22 19:50:50 firewall kernel: Packet log: input REJECT ppp0 PROTO=17
207.198.223.171:137 207.198.222.238:137 L=78 S=0x00 I=51504 F=0x0000 T=125
(#26) 

============================================================

If I understand correctly, this line indicates that I rejected an incoming
packet for the netbios name service.  Does this mean that someone outside of
my own network is doing a netbios scan?

I also sometimes see the following entry:

============================================================

Jan 22 21:49:05 firewall kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6
207.198.222.202:61519 152.163.245.99:5190 L=40 S=0x00 I=43538 F=0x4000 T=127
(#50) 

============================================================

Since it is an "output" rejection, it means that I disallowed something from
inside my network and refused to let it over the interface, right?  Does
anyone know what this could be?

-- 
Jake Colman                     

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 928-4640
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

"Every time I think I've idiot-proofed something someone comes up with a
better idiot"

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to