/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
Brian Tuley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> when I type "route" BEFORE the PPP connection is made, I get the following
> message:
Whenever you are suspecting network problems, you should always use the
"-n" option to any network commands (netstat, route, ipchains). This is
because, in order to display hostnames to you, the system must use the
network in order to perform DNS lookups. But if the network isn't
working, these commands will hang for a long time before they give up
and report network numbers. Using "-n" makes them report network
numbers right away.
> I'm running slackware 2.0.34. What would cause this, and were would I
> check to fix it? This is strange, since I've not changed anything on
> my linux box.
Your ISP may have changed something, such as the IP addresses of their
name servers. But anyway, start with debugging the PPP connection and
go from there. You should be able to use "ifconfig ppp0" to find out
the address of the other side of your point-to-point link. If you can
ping that IP address, then PPP works, and you have a networking issue.
Otherwise it's a PPP issue.
Of course, none of this has anything to do with IP Masq, so I'm not sure
why I'm answering the question on this list.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox) || "Good judgment comes from experience.
sometimes known as David DeSimone || Experience comes from bad judgment."
http://www.dallas.net/~fox/ || -- Life Lessons
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.