On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM, <gi1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 05:56:19PM -0300, Jim Diamond wrote:
>
> > The last time I used mrxvt, it did not use X resources.  I found this
> > to be a major pain, given the number of systems I use (with different
> > screen sizes and resolutions) on a daily basis.  Playing around with
> > keeping different config files up to date in different places was some
> > sort of shell game for me, and much more difficult than doing it the
> > standard X way.  Any chance of having the new and improved materm use
> > X resources?
>
> Oh no... I remember "removing" this feature 10 years ago for reasons I
> can't completely remember now (I think it interfered with the macro
> syntax, and/or was hard to test configurations).
>
> I don't see myself adding it back... but I would certainly merge a patch
> that doesn't break anything on my system :)

I don't like X resources; they're pretty complicated for what you get.  I'd
rather configure things on the command line using a small shell script that
wraps xdpyinfo, using the display resolution and font size to compute a
decent initial terminal size.

EG:
http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/svn/hcm/trunk/terminal-window
http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/svn/hcm/trunk/xterm-col-row