On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:03:30 -0700, Christopher Barker wrote:
> to, so maybe I'm missing something. In essence, I see a distinction
> between contributing to a project someone else is releasing, and
> creating a derived work that I release myself. Maybe there is no
> difference.

I'll reply only to the problematic case. (And we're definitely
off-topic for the matplotlib-devel list, so I suggest we take any
further discussion privately unless someone steps up and says "please,
continue here").

> 2) I have written a substantial application that makes some use of some
> GPL'd code. I want to put that app up on a government-run web site, and
> let people use it at their will. As I understand it, I am now
> "releasing" the application, and as it includes some GPL code, it MUST
> be released under the GPL. But I can't do that, because I don't hold
> copyright over the stuff I've written on the taxpayers time. So what do
> I do?

From what authority do you derive the "I can't do that" part? Think
about that.

You say "because I don't hold copyright", but what does that mean?
Copyright would give you the ability to impose limits on the
recipients, (specifically with respect to activities such as copying,
creating derived works, public performance, etc.). You don't have any
right to impose such limits, but you also don't need any rights.

I would suggest that all of the parts that you have written by
annotated with appropriate statements indicating their public-domain
status.

The question is, can you combine these public-domain files with other
files that you obtained via the GPL? That's a question of creating a
derived work which is something that requires the copyright holder's
permission. And the copyright holder has given you that permission as
long as the derived work is made available under the terms of the GPL.

So, yes, you have permission to release the combined work under the
terms of the GPL. Recipients can then modify and redistribute the
combined work under the terms of the GPL. Recipients can _also_
extract any public-domain portions of the work and use those in any
way whatsoever, since they are public-domain.

> I could post all the code I wrote myself (released into the public
> domain), then post instructions how to combine it with the GPL code,
> compile it, and viola, you have your app, but that's not exactly making
> things as accessible as I'd like.

Does such a person have an ability that you do not? Your only unique
position is that you cannot assert any copyright in the things you
created. Nor can your hypothetical third party doing the combining,
right? So I see no problem with you being the party doing the
combining.

> """
> Can the US Government release a program under the GNU GPL?
>
> If the program is written by US federal government employees in the
> course of their employment, it is in the public domain, which means it
> is not copyrighted. Since the GNU GPL is based on copyright, such a
> program cannot be released under the GNU GPL.
> """

That wasn't what you asked though. You asked if you could combine
original software written by the government with software available
under the GPL and release the combination. And that's exactly what the
FSF answers in the next question:

> Sure, contributing is no problem, it's the releasing of derived works
> that has me concerned.

But what's the distinction there? Releasing a derived work is
certainly an action that requires the copyright holder's permission,
but you have that permission explicitly in the GPL.

There's never any relicensing. The parts that are public-domain are
still public-domain. The parts that are available only under the terms
of the GPL are still available only under the terms of the GPL. You
cannot relicense at all unless you are the copyright holder.

The only question is in the case of a combined work whether there is a
set of permissions that doesn't violate the terms of any of the
pieces. (This is the general "license compatibility" question.) And in
the case of GPL+public domain, the answer is yes, and the set of
permissions is the GPL.

I think one possible point of confusion is the wording of
"improvements" in the FSF GPL FAQ explaining that the government can
"release improvements to a GPL-covered program". This might be
interpreted as somehow implying that its only legitimate if the
improvements are somehow less significant than the GPL program.

A more clear answer might just say that the government, (or anyone
else for that matter), can legitimately combine GPL software with
public domain software and release the result under the GPL.

But you certainly don't need the FSF FAQ to give you that permission
explicitly. The GPL itself gives you all the permission you need.

So again, I'll go back to my original question, by what authority do
you see any problem? Would you be violating anybody's copyright by
releasing a program combining GPL components and government-written
public-domain components? That is, would you be taking any action that
required a copyright holder or copyright holder's permission that you
don't have? I certainly can't see any.

-Carl