Michael Droettboom wrote:
> Jouni K. Seppänen wrote:
>
>> "John Hunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>

>>> On 7/10/07, Michael Droettboom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>

>> I'm seeing a bug on OS X, whose file system is by default
>> case-preserving but not case-sensitive:
>>
>> 458  ->                 fontdictObject = self.embedTTF(
>> 459                         filename, self.used_characters[filename])
>>
>> Here self.used_characters has a key starting with '/Users/jks/...' but
>> filename is '/users/jks/...'. I'm not sure how to fix this cleanly.
>> I though os.path.normcase would help, but it doesn't:
>>

> Thanks for that.  The Ps backend has the same problem.  I'll do a little
> research and see what a common solution to this might be.

I changed the code to use the file's (st_ino, st_dev) pair as a key,
rather than the path.  This is cached to prevent lots of little stat
calls.  This approach is reported to work on "Macintosh, Unix, and
Windows", but I've only tested on Linux and OS-X.  Please let me know if
it solves your issue.

Along the way, I found an interesting discussion about why normcase does
what it does on OS-X.  (Summary: because file names are case sensitive
on OS-X, but not the default HFS+ filesystem that Macs ship with as
their System volume.)

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2006-January/360098.html

Cheers,
Mike