John Hunter wrote:

[...]
> So one reason why the backends are a bit of a kludge is because we
> have tried to throw some extra stuff into the GTK drawing model as an
> afterthough.  We could redo all the collection stuff w/ compounds
> paths.

John,

Do all the backend devices or libraries we *need* now support compound
paths (1) at all, and (2) in a consistent enough way to solve the
contouring problem as well as to make something like polygon collections
more efficient?

I guess this is really part of a larger question about the degree to
which the various graphics drawing models have converged with a rich
intersection of capabilities, including arbitrary text rotation, precise
text positioning, arcs, bezier curves, etc.

Eric