> I think this happens in all mpl graphs, you just don't see it.  The
> axis limits are set to -2..2, and the sine is draw from -2..2.  The
> linewidth extends beyond 2, so it is clipped by the axes clipping to
> the bounding rectangle.  Normally you don't see this, because visually
> it is under the surrounding axes black edge.

Yes, I saw that it looks like it happens under the axes clipping.

> You can either set the
> ylimits wider:

  ax.set_ylim(-2.1, 2.1)

But would this also make the spine have the larger limits?  Basically, I
want know if the spines can be used to create Tufte-style range-frames.  Am
I correct in thinking that these spines provide that?  Or is there another
way to get a range-frame?

> or turn clipping off
>
>  ax.plot(x,y, clip_on=False)

This looks hopeful and I will give it a shot.

Cheers,

Brian