Brian Granger wrote:

>     I think this happens in all mpl graphs, you just don't see it.  The
>     axis limits are set to -2..2, and the sine is draw from -2..2.  The
>     linewidth extends beyond 2, so it is clipped by the axes clipping to
>     the bounding rectangle.  Normally you don't see this, because visually
>     it is under the surrounding axes black edge.
>

> Yes, I saw that it looks like it happens under the axes clipping.
>

>     You can either set the
>     ylimits wider:
>
>       ax.set_ylim(-2.1, 2.1)
>

> But would this also make the spine have the larger limits?  Basically,
> I want know if the spines can be used to create Tufte-style
> range-frames.  Am I correct in thinking that these spines provide that?
Although I don't have a precise definition of "Tufte-style range
frame"to go by, I think my intention was to do exactly what you're after.

I don't know how hard it would be to automatically increase the clipping
box size by the size (line width or marker size, including edge width)
of any artists on the border -- I imagine it may require querying
backends in a way they don't currently support. I'll talk about this
with John at SciPy 09.

>   Or is there another way to get a range-frame?
>

>     or turn clipping off
>
>      ax.plot(x,y, clip_on=False)
>

> This looks hopeful and I will give it a shot.
That's what I've been doing.