Wow, this looks great.

Thank you all of you so far for the quick responses and pointers.

I've already done many diagrams in Python-generated TikZ, which I want to
port over to pure Python.  They are basically variants of this:
http://www.texample.net/tikz/examples/graph/ .  Do you think this will be
possible?  That is, drawing nodes with labels inside and then anchoring the
arrows to the edges of the nodes?

With respect to the unification of arrow types, would you be able to point
me to which files or methods in the source they are based on?  I would like
to familiarize myself with all of them before I make a proposal of what I
intend to do.

Thanks,

Neil