Hello Chris,

On Thursday 27 March 2008 12:22, Chris Withers wrote:

> >> What is that behaviour and what version of matplotlib are you using?
> >
> > I think it is the expected behaviour. The number of xtick is aproximately
> > constant and some tick get sorted out, when the xlimits are increasing.
> > I'm using matplotlib-svn r5024 on Debian etch.
>
> Hmm, do you have a code snippet to demonstrate this?
> Maybe I'm missing some vital step that causes the axis to re-calculate
> its ticks?

I'm not sure that I understand you correctly. The code I refering is the one
which I attached some mails ago. The following works for me:
from pylab import *
from time import sleep

ion()                     # interactive mode 'on'
figure()
ax = subplot(111, autoscale_on=True)

x, y = [0], [0]
line = plot(x, y, label="my_data")[0]
                                    # get the line-object as the first element
                                    # of the tuple returned by plot
legend()
for i in arange(30):
    x.append(i)           # append new values
    y.append(i**2)
    line.set_data(x,y)    # reset data
    ax.relim()            # reset axes limits
    ax.autoscale_view()   # rescale axes
    draw()                # redraw current figure
    sleep(0.3)            # wait 0.3 seconds

ioff()
show()

And your mpltest.py works as well for me.

best regards
Matthias