Hi!

>> How can I put the bottom axis on top (or on top AND on bottom) for a barh
>> plot?

> It's somewhat counter-intuitive, but it can be done.
> You have to create some "twin" axes with the "twiny" option,
> then make the plot on the twin axes so it will use the
> top axis. The bottom axis still have to be adjusted manually
> to make it match the top one and remove the labels.
>
> See this example:

Thanks for your example.  With your help I was able to finally create this with
matplotlib,
  http://www.hep.wisc.edu/cms/comp/cmsprod/diskUserUsage.png
and this is my final script,
  http://www.hep.wisc.edu/cms/comp/cmsprod/plotDiskUse.py

One thing that surprised me was to shrink the font for the names required
changing ax1 even though the barh plot is on ax2.  See these lines:

  ax2.barh(pos, listUse, color=listColors, height=1.0, align='center')
  for tick in ax1.yaxis.get_major_ticks():
    tick.label1.set_fontsize(8)

Surprising.
Mike