Thanks Ben, that works nicely. Good work :) (except that inkscape is
not nearly as good as matplotlib itself at optimising the resulting
vector-based pdf to keep the file size down - not mpl's fault though).
I just remembered, while trying this out, that there are two of every
object forming the axis parts - two of every patch, grid line, tick
line and label. It was this way before the latest changes also, but is
there a reason, or is it a bug? It doesn't impact visually though.

thanks for the great work on this,
Gary