Have you tried simply using a different solver? It could also be a problem with
the starting point, so you might try setting the opf.init_from_mpc option to 1
and possibly even solve the power flow problem first and use it’s solution as
the starting point. E.g.

mpopt = mpoption('opf.init_from_mpc', 1);
pf = runpf(mpc);
r = runopf(mpc, mpopt);

— Ray