I disagree. While it might be likely that we won't run into problems there is still a lot of work that needs to be done to verify that when we change such an important third party tool. Your comment on multithreading demonstrates the potential for subtle 'improvements' to cause issues if untested; if our ffmpeg profiles use multithreading and we're on a 4 core worker with four jobs in the encoding stage how many threads are actively vying for cpu? 4 or 16? Which is our intent?
I'm a -1 on upgrading ffmpeg for the 1.2 release unless there is going to be a significant qa effort on the processing side. I would love an updated ffmpeg, but I want to know someone is going to verify that it works as expected throughout. Chris -----Original Message----- From: Ruediger Rolf <[email protected]> Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 09:34:49 To: Christopher Brooks<[email protected]> Cc: Opencast Matterhorn<[email protected]> Subject: Re: [Opencast Matterhorn] Multi quality streams workflow definition: update ffmpeg version for 1.2? I don't think that changing the ffmpeg version is something that need many QA work. For 1.0 and 1.1 we always used a ffmpeg trunk version (to get the -vf option). I have never encountered a problem with the ffmpeg version with matterhorn. By the way the recent versions have a better multi-threading support, just as an additional bonus for switching. Rüdiger Am 04.05.2011 18:33, schrieb Christopher Brooks: > On Wed, 04 May 2011 17:37:51 +0200 > Ruediger Rolf<[email protected]> wrote: > >> Hi list, >> >> in our local 1.1 system we added a new workflow that creates videos >> in different qualities for different internet bandwith: >> http://video.virtuos.uni-osnabrueck.de:8080/engage/ui/watch.html?id=195 >> Change the "Quality" setting in the lower right to see the different >> qualities. >> >> We would like to too add this feature to the trunk too, but the >> creation of the different qualities requires a more recent ffmpeg >> version that supports the -vf (video filter) option. With -vf scale >> it is possible use different resolutions for each quality and still >> keep the correct aspect ratio. >> >> I added an additonal workflow definition that encodes the video in >> different qualities. If we keep our ffmpeg version these videos might >> get the wrong aspect ratio if they are not in 4:3 ratio. >> >> Any objections against an update of ffmpeg? >> >> Rüdiger >> > I like the idea of upgrading to a newer version, but it means a big qa > effort..... > > Chris > -- ________________________________________________ Rüdiger Rolf, M.A. Universität Osnabrück - Zentrum virtUOS Heger-Tor-Wall 12, 49069 Osnabrück Telefon: (0541) 969-6511 - Fax: (0541) 969-16511 E-Mail: [email protected] Internet: www.virtuos.uni-osnabrueck.de _______________________________________________ Matterhorn mailing list [email protected] http://lists.opencastproject.org/mailman/listinfo/matterhorn To unsubscribe please email [email protected] _______________________________________________
