Hi,

> Isn't the simple solution to just not change the encoding profiles?
> We opt for multiple encoding processes to run concurrently rather
> than supporting multithreading in a single encoding job.  We can
> stick with that approach.

Can we?  I don't know if ffmpeg tries to detect the threading
environment automatically like we do.  And what about the recently
added multithreading decoding (ffmpeg-mt)?  Does this compound problems?

What revision of ffmpeg is being proposed here?

And does a "production system" mean its been tested against gstreamer
mpeg2 encoding, or is Osna using hauppage and skipping software
encoding completely?

There are so many variables with ffmpeg updates that I see a huge
assurance effort here and, that that vision is not shared, dismays me a
bit.  I want a release that I have confidence works more than I want
these new features.

> With all of this said, we are planning on cutting 1.2 in about a
> week.  I'm fine waiting until that release branch is cut, so the new
> features are released as part of 1.3.

I would change my vote to a -0 if it were after 1.2 - I still think
the qa effort is being minimalized to our detriment, but if someone
else is responsible for release managing that and trying to herd cats
to deal with problems then I won't stand in the way.

Chris


-- 
Christopher Brooks, BSc, MSc
ARIES Laboratory, University of Saskatchewan

Web: http://www.cs.usask.ca/~cab938
Phone: 1.306.966.1442
Mail: Advanced Research in Intelligent Educational Systems Laboratory
     Department of Computer Science
     University of Saskatchewan
     176 Thorvaldson Building
     110 Science Place
     Saskatoon, SK
     S7N 5C9
_______________________________________________
Matterhorn mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.opencastproject.org/mailman/listinfo/matterhorn


To unsubscribe please email
[email protected]
_______________________________________________

Reply via email to