Hi,

Here's a question for those of you who are developing museum
interactives, particularly museum educational games.

How much are these games developed for only one setting.  E.g. an in-
gallery kiosk OR the web.    How often are they developed for both
platforms (web and gallery)?

I've been looking at the games that museums share via their websites,
but I expect there are many more that have been developed only for in-
gallery usage & are inaccessible to everyone except on-site
visitors.   There are some good reasons this is the case, e.g. the in-
gallery games are designed to be used with a touchscreen or other
custom input interface.  What are the hurdles to getting these out to
a broader audience?

Just thinking:

1. it might be interesting to be able to aggregate a selection of
museum games to make some comparisons,  conducting some focused
testing  (this 24hr Museum has kindly done this for online UK museum
games - http://www.show.me.uk/games/games.html)
2. would people be willing to turn over executables for comparison
3. There are a number of efforts underway to preserve console and PC
games.   Where will the groundbreaking museum interactives end up?

I'd also point museum game developers  to the Values at Play/Social
Impact Game Contest 2007 that just opened up this week. ( http://
valuesatplay.org/  and http://www.socialimpactgames.com/)    Surely
there are some museum games that qualify.

Richard Urban, Doctoral Student
Graduate School of Library & Information Science
rjurban at uiuc.edu
http://isrl.uiuc.edu/~rjurban