?
T 323 857 4769
F 323 857 6213
E rsanford at lacma.org
?

-----Original Message-----
From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu] On Behalf Of
Fournier, Melissa
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 12:31 PM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Subject: Re: [MCN-L] image file names

Hi Danielle,

At the YCBA we are no longer using an accession-number based filename
convention, but when we were using accession numbers as the basis for our
filenames, we replaced all periods with dashes instead.  I've also seen
underscores used in the same fashion.  Both the dash and underscore are among
several special characters that are generally acceptable in file or folder
names.

(Nowadays our filenames are based on the underlying object ID assigned to the
object by our collection management system.  I would be happy to share the
documentation on our current filenaming convention if you are interested.)

Melissa

Melissa Gold Fournier
Associate Museum Registrar
Imaging / Rights and Reproductions
YALE CENTER FOR BRITISH ART

melissa.fournier at yale.edu

Mailing: P.O. Box 208280, New Haven, CT 06520
Shipping: 161 York Street, New Haven, CT 06511
Fax: 203 432 6780
Phone: 203 432 2834