Maybe it would be useful to repeat the most simplified version of current US
copyright term. I have this taped to my computer.

Works created by an individual: Date of death + 70 years
Works copyrighted by a corporation: Date of publication + 95 years or date
of creation + 120 years.

We should keep in mind that 99.9% of uses fall within this rule--and that as
a practical matter it holds for international publication too.

One can do a reasonable assessment of those occasional instances that might
reasonably be thought to be exceptional or on the borderline, and research
their rights status with care. In my view, a postcard published around 1900
doesn't fall under that rubric--neither the original image nor any marginal
new creative content that might conceivably inhere in the crinkly edges.

Of course the above "Short Version" sets aside exceptions for certain US
works created between 1923 and 1978; it sets aside rare exceptions in which
old peculiarities of superseded laws have been exploited to extend copyright
in highly esoteric individual cases; and it sets aside the exotic
complexities of publishing internationally in nations that have not signed
the Geneva Convention. But on the whole it works; it's reliable; it's
broadly accepted.

We're approaching the New Year. Don't forget to drink a toast on Jan. 1 to
welcome to the public domain F. Scott Fitzgerald, Paul Klee, Tina Modotti,
Edouard Vuillard, Marcus Garvey, Walter Benjamin, Nathanael West, and Leon
Trotsky.

Cheers,
Eve Sinaiko
NYC