Peter writes:

> What Eve says is correct for published works, but the question of Matisse
paintings
> purchased by MoMA is theoretically more problematic.  Remember the Pushman
Doctrine,
> which established that the transfer of unpublished works by an artist in
New York prior to
> 1966 transferred to the purchaser the copyright in those works unless the
copyright in the
> works was expressly reserved by the artist.
>
> It is quite likely that MoMA acquired the copyright in some of the
artworks it purchased
> prior to 1966, when the Pushman Doctrine was reversed by the state
legislature.  It is
> possible that the common law of other states might have kept the Pushman
Doctrine in place
> in those states until 1978, when unpublished art work was first protected
by Federal
> copyright.
>
> Whether anyone wants to fight with artists and their estates over
copyright is another
> matter.

Very true!

Still, I this rare situation doesn't apply to the example I was addressing:
the all-too-common instance of someone acquiring a work and then improperly
(indeed, illegally) asserting ownership of its copyright when copyright has
expired. This is a version of what Judge Posner calls copyright misuse;
others call it copyright abuse. My own name for it is theft from the public
domain.

The example Peter explores is mostly a matter between the Matisse estate and
MOMA; it needn't worry users of images too much, as long as we know that
Matisse remains in copyright until 2024 and that, as a general rule, we
should seek permission from his estate, not the museum. Beyond that we have
to rely on the estate to 'fess up honestly if it happens to have assigned or
sold or otherwise lost the rights to an individual work. If we have reason
to doubt the probity of a rights holder of record; this sometimes happens
when two children of an artist are heirs of different clusters of his or her
work, for example.

It's difficult for publishers and museums find a balance between the
specifics of the law and general, reliable rules that provide clarity and
security. Reliable rules of thumb are essential to running a business
practically; by definition they do not encompass all possible exceptions.
Few of us (individuals or institutions) have the time or money for deep
research into the copyright status of individual works (in most instances).
Most museums don't even have counsel on retainer, much less on staff. So
until recently the in-house rules at presses and museums usually erred on
the side of a conservative, better-safe-than-sorry interpretation of
copyright law. But this has led to an immense amount of rights clearance
(and fees! and restrictive terms of use!) for works that in fact have no
copyright (such as a postcard from 1895) and an enormous increase in
paperwork for everyone.

To be sure, US copyright law is full of minute complexities: some published
works have lost their copyright well before the Death + 70 years expiry date
because a rights holder failed to reregister copyright or omitted a notice.
Other works that should have entered the public domain by now may have an
extended term because of technicalities such as the one Peter points to
above (because a corporate copyright generally has a longer term than that
of an individual--as in the case of Harvard owning rights to some Dickinson
poems).

Nevertheless, we do need general rules of thumb and they need to be sensible
and reliable in most cases. To put the matter bluntly: in my experience
illegal assertion of copyright is *far* more common than instances of
unintentional infringement caused by a rare exception to the general rules
of copyright term (such as incorrectly assuming that all of Dickinson's
poems are in the public domain). Unfortunately, it's easier for Harvard to
sue for infringement than it is for the public domain to sue for theft. No
huge settlements attach to aggressively pushing back against improper
copyright assertions. I sometimes think the public domain should incorporate
so as to improve its legal standing.

(OK, that last bit was a joke.)

Regards,
Eve Sinaiko