PO Box 1717
Asheville, NC 28802
828.253.3227
fthomson at ashevilleart.org
www.ashevilleart.org

-----Original Message-----
From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu] On Behalf Of
Perian Sully
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:12 PM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Subject: [MCN-L] ye olde TIF vs. JPEG2000 debate

Howdy everyone:

I'm in the midst of reprocessing all (!!) of our image assets from .NEF (a RAW
format) and I'm wondering if I should take another look at
JPEG2000 now.

When I first started imaging the collection, JPEG2000 was in its infancy and
not widely adopted. As a result, I have my master files in NEF and TIF, my
high-quality derivatives in TIF, and my accessible and web-ready images in JPG.

Part of this reprocessing will including making new copies of the high-quality
derivatives as well as the accessible JPGs. So I'm wondering if I should
replace the HQ derivative TIFs with JPEG2000 at this time.

Anyone have any opinions, experiences or suggestions before I commit to this?

~Perian

Perian Sully
Collections Information Manager
Web Programs Strategist