From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu] On Behalf Of
Perian Sully
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:12 PM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Subject: [MCN-L] ye olde TIF vs. JPEG2000 debate

Howdy everyone:

I'm in the midst of reprocessing all (!!) of our image assets from .NEF
(a RAW format) and I'm wondering if I should take another look at
JPEG2000 now.

When I first started imaging the collection, JPEG2000 was in its infancy
and not widely adopted. As a result, I have my master files in NEF and
TIF, my high-quality derivatives in TIF, and my accessible and web-ready
images in JPG.

Part of this reprocessing will including making new copies of the
high-quality derivatives as well as the accessible JPGs. So I'm
wondering if I should replace the HQ derivative TIFs with JPEG2000 at
this time.

Anyone have any opinions, experiences or suggestions before I commit to
this?

~Perian

Perian Sully
Collections Information Manager
Web Programs Strategist
The Magnes
2911 Russell St.
Berkeley, CA 94705
Work: 510-549-6950 x 357
Fax: 510-849-3673
http://www.magnes.org
http://www.musematic.org
http://www.mediaandtechnology.org

You are currently subscribed to mcn-l, the listserv of the Museum
Computer Network (http://www.mcn.edu)

To post to this list, send messages to: mcn-l at mcn.edu