An article (below) that is tangential but pertinant to the question.
Museums are all about accuracy of attribution, especially in a collecton
database.
Amalyah Keshet

-------------------------------

"Controlling copies isn't necessarily part of an artist's livelihood, but
getting them accurately attributed is"

Danny O'Brien's new essay "Copyright, Fraud and Window Taxes (No, not that"
Windows)" makes a really good point about the way that people view copying on
the Internet: copying is a ho-hum, every day thing (after all, in order for you
to read these words, they had to be copied dozens, if not hundreds, of times)
but
"passing off" (plagiarism, fraud) is more frowned-upon than ever

"In a digital world, many people don't see the act of copying as a particularly
momentous or profitable event. Copying isn't what we do as an act of
purchasing; copying is a thing we do to our valuable artifacts. People are
scandalised when its suggested that you should pay for a copy copied to backup
drives, or iPods; they're amazed when vested interests demand that cached
copies or transitory files should count as extra purchases. Copying is no
longer a good proxy for incoming revenue; which means it is no longer a good
place to extract remuneration...
Nowadays, copying isn't always the core part of remunerative creative business.
But accurate accreditation very much is...

I'm reminded of the fact that the original Creative Commons license allowed
creators to choose whether they wanted their works attributed to them or not,
but after a year or two, it was discovered that nearly every CC user turned the
attribution switch on while generating the license -- everyone wanted correct
attribution, even when they were giving away free copies. "

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/08/08/controlling-copies-i.html#previouspost

?????: ??mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu] ??? Weinstein,
William [WWeinstein at philamuseum.org]
??????: ????? ??? 14 ?????? 2009 21:29
????: Museum Computer Network Listserv
??????: [MCN-L] rights question

We are evaluating our policy regarding obtaining rights for images of
works we publish in our online collection section.   The issue of what
to do with works where there is an apparent copyright holder that can
either not be contacted or does not respond to repeated permission
requests.  Does anyone have a position of what to do regarding works in
this particular state of limbo?

Bill Weinstein

To post to this list, send messages to: mcn-l at mcn.edu

http://toronto.mediatrope.com/pipermail/mcn-l/